Hill Inlet Swirling Sands North Whitehaven Beach

Hill Inlet is located on Whitsunday Island’s Northern tip of Whitehaven Beach. This sand inlet is like a tidal river in the middle of Whitsunday Island. You can see from the satellite Google Map below just how far the coral sea and silica sand have carved into the island landscape over millions of years.

 

 

Hill Inlet Lookout

The famous Hill Inlet Lookout is situated on a hill at the mouth of the sea inlet ( see the above map). 98% of tour companies access this by Tounge bay walking track on the north end of the long spit you see in the above map. Ocean Rafting (the other 2%) has a special National Parks permit to access this Inlet with their tour boats and drop off guests in the inlet sands.

At this location, you will locate a walking track that will take you about 15 – 20 minutes to reach the lookout. During the walk, you will pass through the Australian bush, and you always have a chance of seeing some wildlife.

As you reach the top, you will be treated to the massive view of the 7km long wonder Whitehaven Beach, as you look west you will see the famous swirling sands of Hill Inlet as the sand winds far up  a channel into the island mountains

From here you can take a 10-minute walk down to Bettys Beach which is located beside the inlet. While this is technically not Whitehaven Beach, it has all the same properties including the silica sand.  (Whitehaven Beach is officially the 7 km stretch of beach to the south)

 As you reach the top, you will be treated to the massive view of the 7km long wonder Whitehaven Beach, as you look west you will see the famous swirling sands of Hill Inlet as the sand winds far up  a channel into the island mountains

From here you can take a 10-minute walk down to Bettys Beach which is located beside the inlet. While this is technically not Whitehaven Beach, it has all the same properties including the silica sand.  (Whitehaven Beach is officially the 7 km stretch of beach to the south of the Inlet)

 Lookout Trail (Hike)

Start: Whitsunday Island
End: Whitsunday Island
Location: Whitsunday Islands National Park, Queensland 4802
Closest town: Airlie Beach and Hamilton Island
Distance: 1.3km
Duration: 45 mins
Grade: 3 (Average Fitness)
Style: Return loop track
Opening hours: Open 24 hours a day
Cost: Free
Wheelchair access: There are no wheelchair-accessible facilities.
Access: By boat only

How To Experience Hill Inlet In The Whitsundays

As Hill Inlet is on Whitsunday Island 35km from Airlie Beach there are only a few ways

  • Tour Boat
  • Scenic Flight
  • Private Boat

Below you will find options for the tours and scenic flights.

 

Boat Tours That Visit Hill Inlet Lookout

Scenic Flights Over Hill Inlet and Whitehaven Beach

Gallery